terminal bullet performance

Reloading, reloading equipment and Ballistics in general
Jamesfromjersey

terminal bullet performance

Postby Jamesfromjersey » Wed May 25, 2016 11:26 pm

Gold_mine_feb_2013_049.JPG
my pictures 375_3.JPG
Pulled out my box of recovered handgun bullets and removed all those of .41 caliber. There were eight XTP`s and three Swift A-frames. There original weight was 210 grains. The range the animals were shot was from 20 yards out to just over 90 yards. Most of the game were boar in the 200+ pound range plus a large body aoudad, a blackbuck and a Axis deer.

HANDGUNS and HANDLOADS: 1) S&W 657 with 7 1/2" barrel shooting a 210gr XTP over 22.7grs of H-110 for 1400+fps.

2) Freedom Arms m-83 with a 10" barrel shooting a load from John Taffin that uses a heavy charge of AA#9 under both the 210gr XTP or Swift A-frame. The XTP ran at 1745fps while the Swift A-frame ran at 1674FPS.

average recovered weight of 8 XTP bullets: 138.95 grains

average recovered weight of 3 Swift bullets: 201.6 grains

average expansion for 8 XTP bullets: 0.620"

average expansion for 3 Swift bullets: 0.660"

The Swift is a premium, bonded, partition bullet and well worth the money they cost. As you can see in the photos the expansion and weight retention are consistent and almost perfect. The XTP`s gave higher velocities with extremes at weight loss. While the XTP is not in the same class as the Swift it must be remembered that these bullets were taken from dead animals so they worked when placed in the right spot. I hope you 41 mag guys may find this as useful information. In the top photo of the six expanded bullets the three from the right are my recovered 210gr XTP`s while the other two photos show recovered 210gr Swift A-frame fired from the same Freedom Arms 41mag. Even though you don`t find to many 41 mag owners you can still apply the results to XTP and Swift bullets in 44mag , 45 Colt, and 454. I have found that the performance of these two brands of bullets are about the same as the 41`s above in their 44 and 45 products...
tioga_nov_2012_043.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"........"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want"......

Return to “Reloading and Ballistics”